Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Last day.....

Welp....I had my last day of work in Cambridge today. It was a bit of a surreal experience actually. I'm not really sure why. I've left other jobs in my past and I guess all of them have been a bit surreal.

Driving into Cambridge for my last day today, I began to think that this might be the last time for a long time that I drive this highway at this time of the morning. This highway that has taken me to work the same way for over 5 years now. Man, 5 years I've been driving or 'training' into Cambridge for work. First at one job for 2 1/2 years and then another for the past 2 1/2 years (by the way - both jobs were such blessings - no kidding - I'm so thankful for the ways that God has decided to provide for me and since CDM for Erika as well).

Anyway, the highway. It's weird to think about this highway that gets so much traffic on it every day. So much metal on the highway at once. So much metal that carries people, human beings, God's creations into work or home each and every day (wonder actually how many cars travel that hwy in a week). Think for a minute about the lives in those cars. People who have so many different lives. Some are seeking jobs and traveling this road for the first time and some are going to jobs that they've been at for years, traveling this road for the thousandth time. Some are having a bad morning, having just left a unhealthy household, with some on top of the world because they've never been happier. Some traveling in a car that they feel very safe in, but some traveling in a car that not only do they not feel safe in but that they are praying doesn't go dead the next time they take their foot off the gas. Some who are looking forward to going to work because they have an undying passion about their job and can't wait to begin the work day, and some are going to work dreading the very thought of walking into their work place because they're facing a stressful day or they've just lost all passion for their job and could barely motivate themselves enough to get outta their bed this morning. Others, that are actually putting their make-up on and some who are weaving and bobbing in traffic hoping to get to their destination sooner (but us experienced commuters have realized that this exercise does not only not work but sometimes has the opposite result - making you further behind the others you started with). Some who are smoking and some who are eating and some who are sipping their coffee and some who are praying, like me. Some people actually get the luxery of sleeping on their commute in because they were smart enough to have a partner who drives them in (and I mean their out too man....slobbering and all) and some who are sleeping without someone else driving....yes, I once had to roll down the window to wake some guy up before he wrecked. Some, potentially like me on this day, going into work for the last time today, moving into a new season in their life.

It's just weird really looking at people, things or places on your last day of work. Things that you might not see for a short while or ever again......or maybe very very soon....who knows. The potholes in the road I travel every day that I try to avoid each and every day that will literally pop your tire. Trying to navigate the horrible portion of the road going under a bridge in Somerville that literally makes me feel like I'm riding on the corduroy dirt road going to the little league baseball fields back home in MS. Trying to get through the stressful parts of the commute such as getting off on the Sullivan exit and having to merge all the way into the right lane from the left lane of the exit during bumper to bumper traffic or just waiting on the next person to cut me off or trying to be aware of the next person to stop short while moving along at 40 mph and all of a sudden decide to let someone into traffic and making everyone behind them wreck (UGH!!!) Swiping my badge as I go into the parking garage for the last time (or will it be the last time?). Saying good bye to people that you have seen almost every day for the past 2 1/2 years that you all of a sudden after today, may never ever see again....or will you? Going into the office that I've called my own for 2 1/2 years and walking out of it and never ever going back into it. Hanging up the phone that has heard so many important conversations between my wife and I over the past couple of years and I'll never pick it up and talk through it again....maybe I'm thinking too much but that's, um, weird. Suddenly, so many things that I've grown accustomed over the past couple of years are just gone. Weird....

Sorry for the ramblings....well, no I'm not, you're choosing to read my bog :), so I'm not sorry ....these are just some thoughts.

Anyway, until next time....may the Lord help us appreciate the everyday things and not take things for granted.......

2 comments:

Krista said...

You're starting to sound centimental like Dad!!! Anyway... hope your first day went great today, which I'm sure, like most first days, it probably wasn't "great". But I just know that things are going to get great. Change is hard, but good.

One more thing, you gotta make your text bigger, my eyes are burning from squinting so hard!!!!
Love,
Sis, Kris

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh Scott! I thought the same thing as Krista! Hahaha You know how Mark always says stuff on New Year's Eve, like, "This is the last time I'm going to sit on this sofa, this year." Hahaha

Best wishes on your new job! Hope you love it. Change is hard and sometimes kind of sad too, but you'll do great.

Glad to see you blogging!

Love,
AuntieP :-)