Tuesday, June 23, 2009

We all must do a better job of understanding that....

we don't know everything about everyone's life. How many times have I said to myself or someone else - "I can't believe they made that decision or did that - I can't believe they treated me like that or said that to me."

Things are most of the times not as they appear. I'm the worst about doing this. I will self profess that I think that I'm a pretty good judge of character but not so good at reading behind the scenes stuff and trying to let things go knowing that motives for doing or saying things aren't all that they appear to be.

If someone says something not-so-nice to you, do you assume they're a bad person? If someone gives you a bad attitude at work or over the phone, do you assume they're always like that? Someone cuts you off on the highway, do you assume they meant to?

Although I'm sure there are times when people are just doing these type things on purpose, I would have to say that most of time there are reasons beyond our knowledge that provoke these "bad" behaviors in people.

Whether people didn't get enough sleep, having some issue at home, job concerns, bad phone call, health issues, or just a bad day where things weren't going as anticipated - all these things go unbeknownst to the outside world but certainly may affect the attitude, actions, and words of people.

So, let's do a better job of trying to understand that we may not know exactly what provokes attitudes, actions and decisions of others because we're rightly not supposed to. Therefore, we have no reason to pass judgement on them because we do not know the context of their attitude, action, or decision.

(I'll be re-reading this one a lot!)

No comments: